Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian

Our dog chewed an ant trap with 0.05% indoxacarb. How bad is

Customer Question

Our dog chewed an ant trap with 0.05% indoxacarb . How bad is it? She weighs about 35 lbs?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Sophie and 9 years old.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Sophie?
Customer: No.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 month ago.

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your girl Sophie who chewed on an ant trap containing Inoxacarb.

I am typing up a response and will have this with you in a couple of minutes.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 month ago.

Hi again,

Thank you for your patience. Thankfully Indoxacarb has a very wide safety margin in dogs and cats, and as such Sophie will be just fine if she managed to ingest any of the active ingredient here. In general the concern in these instances is the plastic trap itself. If Sophie chewed or swallowed any of the actual plastic housing of this ant trap, then the worry is that this could become lodged in her abdomen. If she hasn't swallowed any of the plastic housing - then you don't have anything to worry about here. At the most, she may have a little GI upset for a day or so, but even this is unlikely. Pre-empting this by feeding a bland diet now, might be a good idea however. For this, cooked, boneless skinless chicken breast and boiled white rice for a couple of days is ideal. If she does develop any vomiting, then do play it safe and have her checked over, however it is unlikely you will see any issues here at all.

I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 month ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Pet Doc