Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

My 8 month old has a soft tissue injury to his left

Customer Question

My 8 month old has a soft tissue injury to his left shoulder. He has been prayed and ruled out are elbow dysplasia , OCD, and Pano. He is on gabapentin, Rimadyl, and crate rest, but not improving.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?
Customer: Sorry- spellchecker xrayed not "prayed"
JA: Where does the dog seem to hurt?
Customer: Left shoulder
JA: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?
Customer: He is stiff/ lame, but on exam the orthopedic vet was happy with his X-ray, but did note a "fluffy"area he didn't think was significant bc symmetrical on non painful side
JA: Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: Yes, he has been thoroughly examined and xrayed
JA: The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Cambridge
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Cambridge?
Customer: He is a golden retriever show puppy, with parents hips good and good on OFA and elbows normal He is 70 lbs
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I really hoped he might just have pano, and also his Snap 4dx is clear for lyme or anaplasmosis ( from Maine)
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 month ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Cambridge. I'll assume that his left shoulder was painful upon manipulation but there were no bony changes seen in that joint in his X-rays. That would suggest a soft tissue injury about that joint and although they're common in canine orthopedics they tend to be underdiagnosed. Bicipital tenosynovitis, supraspinatus tendinopathy, colllateral ligament tears, and rotator cuff injuries are synonyms for these shoulder soft tissue injuries. Diagnosis can be a challenge without ultrasonography, MRI, or arthroscopy. Were one of these advanced diagnostic techniques mentioned as the next step?

I have to leave my computer for the night but I promise to reply in the morning if need be.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?