Dr. G.
Dr. G., Veterinarian
Experience:  Private Practice Veterinarian

She started licking herself this morning and been at it most

Customer Question

She started licking herself this morning and been at it most of the day . Now it's all swollen out ,and she haven't had this before
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Casey and she's 6
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Casey?
Customer: Nothing
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 1 month ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will try and help you as best as I can.

Please allow a few minutes for me to read your responses and for me to respond back.

Expert:  Dr. G. replied 1 month ago.

I am sorry to hear casey is having this problem.

Where exactly is she licking and what is swollen?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No calls please
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 1 month ago.

I apologize for the call request, it is automatic and not by us.

Is she having any straining to urinate?

Any blood in the urine?

Is she spayed?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No blood and not strayed
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Just swelling and bite and licking it
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Never like it before
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 1 month ago.

I see.

This could be due to a number of things: urinary tract infection, skin infection, infection in the vagina or of the vulva, bladder stones, or even a tumor in the bladder or urinary tract. The first thing to do would be to have her urine checked by your vet to look for any problems. They likely will want to do a good exam as well to rule out any other issues. If this is an infection they will start her on antibiotics and anti-inflammatory medication. If it is not an infection, they may want to do x-rays or ultrasound to look at the bladder and uterus to make sure there is no issue there. I would have her seen today if she is that uncomfortable.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 1 month ago.

You are very welcome.

I wish you both the best.

I suspect this might just be a urinary tract infection, in which case it would be a simple treatment.

Have a great day!

Expert:  Dr. G. replied 1 month ago.

I strive for 100% Customer Satisfaction. Please feel free to reply back to me if you need any further information or if you are unsatisfied with this chat. Otherwise, please accept this answer and leave positive feedback for this conversation. Thank you very much and have a wonderful rest of your day!

Expert:  Dr. G. replied 1 month ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. G.