Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

My 10 year old dachshund has never had health issues or been

Customer Question

My 10 year old dachshund has never had health issues or been sick with a loss of appetite or rather finicky to his well adjusted dry and can food mix. About 10 days ago he had a loss of appetite and threw up all day. Additionally he had diarrhea. Took him to my primary vet to have him diagnosed. She took a stool sample and told me his bacteria levels were high in his fecal matter. She prescribed metronidazole liquid form. Twice a day by oral administration (needleless syringe). His current weight of that day was 16.3 pounds. She told me to pull about 75 units from the medicine bottle into the 1cc/1ml syringe. She also prescribed Endosorb. 15 tablets in the bottle for a 5 day period, meaning one pill three times a day as needed for diarrhea. Followed her advice for the first two days but he still wasn't eating his food. This started to concern me as I should have been giving the Metronidazole with food. I took him back to the Vet 48 hours later, basically two whole days, meaning at this time he had four doses of the metronidazole and six of the Endosorb tablets. She chalked it up to upset stomach and prescribed Cerenia. She gave him one powerful shot in her clinic and sent me home with four doses (MORE MEDICATION) of Cerenia tablets. It is now day 10. He still refuses to eat any form of can or dry dog food. He will only eat boiled boneless chicken thighs with a small amount of rice. If I dare put anything else in his bowl it ends up in the trash. He won't even finish boiled chicken breasts unless they are tender, warm, and been soaked in organic chicken broth. He has NEVER been a picky, finicky dog about his food. Now all of a sudden he is turning food away. I completed both the Metronidazole treatments and the Endosorb tablets. His poop is still sludgy not so much like diarrhea but close to it. I contacted my vet earlier today and I am still waiting for her callback. I am thinking he needs another round of the Metronidazole as I've made an appointment for my dachsund to see another vet (Internal medicine) but my appointment is for one week from today. That is the closest appointment available for my dachshund to get in there. So I am left with a dog that basically has no appetite, I can still feed him the boneless thighs, rice, and broth but he is missing the valuable nutrition he needs from his dog food and his stool is still on the diarrhea side. Should another round of Metronidazole be prescribed in the meantime before I get to the internal medicine doctor one week from today? It didn't really seem to help with the diarrhea, however, I have no way of knowing if his bacteria levels are still above normal or the diarrhea is a side effect of the Metronidazole (completed three days ago) or if the diarrhea could be contributed to his small, completely changed chicken and rice diet. What should I do in the meantime before I get into the internal medicine for my baby Romeo? (that's his name). PLEASE HELP
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 3 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) Has Romeo had any bloodwork performed during these episodes you've seen most recently?
2) Has a stool culture been discussed?
3) What brands of food was he eating before this happened?
4) Any human food ever? If so, what?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.