PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue

I have a 4 month old miniature dachshund and while I was at

Customer Question

I have a 4 month old miniature dachshund and while I was at work my boyfriend was home with him a my year old bull terrier he didn't see but they we're playing and some how my dachshund was injured and is now limping
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: No wound
JA: What is the dachshund's name?
Customer: His name is Tuff
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Tuff?
Customer: No nothing perfectly heatthly all shots up to date
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 1 month ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) Is Tuff trying to walk on the limb or holding it up completely?
2) Has he made any improvements since the injury?
3) Is the limb swollen or appears otherwise abnormal?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He tries to walk on it and I wasn't home when the injury initially occurred bit no improvement since I've been home for the last couple hours
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Not swollen or anything

The fact that he's trying to walk on it is a good sign. It may very well simply be sore from landing wrong during play. I would give him overnight to see how he does with cage rest and no further injury. If he's not markedly improved tomorrow morning, I would take him to your vet's office, have them examine Tuff, possibly perform an x-ray to be sure nothing is broken and then dispense canine-safe NSAIDs to help with discomfort. Most minor wounds will improve within a day or so of it happening. Those that don't should certainly be examined.

In a pinch, you can also give aspirin using this calculator. That said, because Tuff is so small, getting the right dosage for him will be difficult. In your shoes, I'd forego this step and see your vet for a different medication to help with discomfort if the problem continues tomorrow.

Let me know if I can help further.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?