Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

16yr. Old documented heart failure and renal disease. On

Customer Question

16yr. Old documented heart failure and renal disease. On Pepcid but coughs constantly. Vet not concerned, she has had a cough for past14 yrs of her life. How much and how often can I give the Pepcid? Does work with a pen dose of Benadryl. Quality of life more important than quanity. Of my 4, she is the mom favorite.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

First, I do just want to note that we can see coughing secondary to heart issues due to fluid in the lungs but also due to the heart pressing up on the trachea and therefore disrupting smooth airflow. Since your vet isn't concerned, we'd hope that the fluid isn't an issue for Piper, since that would mean her vet needs to have her on diuretics. Though in the case of the latter, there isn't usually a treatment that can stop coughing from that. That said, you can try to reduce it with a mild cough suppressant. Pet safe options we often use are Glycerin/honey cough syrup (with no drugs in it) or even plain honey. Both can be very soothing and can be given at a dose of 1-2 milliliter (~1/4-1/2 teaspoon) as needed. Alternatively, we can use Robitussin DM. Of course, if you use this, we only want to use this one with Dextromethorphan +/- Guaifenesin. Avoid similar syrups with pet toxic drugs (ie Paracetamol, Acetaminophen, Pseudoephedrine, Phenylephrine or caffeine, etc). Dose-wise, you can give 1/2 (half) teaspoon per 10lbs of body weight every 8-12 hours. Again, these can reduce coughing for our wee ones. And I'd note that that is a better option then using Benadryl (since that is more appropriate for allergies, which aren't likely here). And finally, in regards ***** ***** question about Pepcid, she can have up to 0.5mg per pound of her weight up to every 12 hours.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )