PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue

I have a 4 pound Shihpoo biorn 6/5 and starting last night

Customer Question

I have a 4 pound Shihpoo biorn 6/5 and starting last night @2am he vomited 3 times slept till 7am pooped 2 X immediately (bits of grass n mulch or bark)? Otherwise seemed ok in am ate breakfast but vomited right after. He's been peeing all day and for lunch I did boiled chicken & white rice but he vomited again at 2:30, 3:30 and 4 tried but must've stayed in his mouth. He has some energy is a bit nippy / but not as much energy. I plan to call vet in am but what could this be? He had a par I shot 8/4.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about vet?
Customer: Not that I can think of. The office is closed today but there's an emergency vet hospital nearby. I thought it was just too much grass or mulch. Should I consider going tonight? My insurance doesn't start till 8/30 but if it's a life death thing I need to know.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 1 month ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

There are quite a few things that this could be linked to. Since he is 11 weeks old, we always concern ourselves with parvo, distemper and intestinal parasites even if the puppy has been vaccinated and dewormed. Additionally, any dog that is eating mulch can easily acquire a major GI upset from this.

Because he is so young and he's been vomiting so often, I would recommend that you visit the ER hospital this weekend to get some diagnostics started and anti-nausea medication started so that he does not further dehydrate. With dogs this small and this young, it doesn't take much to push them to a critical point where hospitalization is required. The hospital will likely start with a parvo test and a fecal exam to check for intestinal parasites. As well, they may recommend blood work. SQ fluids may be recommended along with a shot for nausea like cerenia.

If you are unable to do this, I have posted directions below on trying to stop the vomiting and a bland diet, which sounds similar to what you're already making for him. If the symptoms persist, he absolutely needs to be seen Monday.

The first thing is to administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can buy the brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful.

2 hours following a dose of famotidine, the time needed for the medication to begin working, you can offer a bland diet. To make this, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot. Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. To avoid more nausea, start with small amounts to begin with and offer the amount every 2-4 hours. A few teaspoons to start is typically sufficient and you can work your way up every 2-4 hours in incremental increases until you’re sure no vomiting will be seen.

If your companion requires a more palatable food, try adding in pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors.

Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page:

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?