Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

One of his eyes is rolled halfway to back of his head, Cody

Customer Question

One of his eyes is rolled halfway to back of his head
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Cody is 10
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Cody?
Customer: He does have an enlarged heart
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 months ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

It's actually exceedingly rare for an eye to roll back in the manner in which you've described. The third eyelid prolapsing across the cornea is what gives the impression of the eye rolling back and that eyelid prolapses for a number of reasons. It may be trying to protect the cornea (the clear window of the eye), there might be a disease process involving the third eyelid itself, there may be a problem inside the globe of the eye, or you're seeing a symptom of Horner's syndrome - an interruption in the sympathetic nervous system innervating the third eyelid. Whatever the cause, it will be prudent to have Cody's vet take a look at that eye. It shouldn't be related to Cody's enlarged heart although there are instances in which a problem inside the chest results in Horner's syndrome.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.