Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification

My dog ate 4 Concorde grapes off of plant in the backyard 5

Customer Question

My dog ate 4 Concorde grapes off of plant in the backyard 5 1/2 hours ago. She seems fine, playing, eating, drinking .. Should I be concerned?
She is a two-year-old border collie
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your Border collie will be able to digest that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your Border collie?
Customer: Nope
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 month ago.

Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you with your question. Just like an in person consult, I have a couple questions of my own to help ensure I give you the best advice possible....

Has she ever gotten into the grapes before?

Does she have any other underlying health issues you're aware of?

Is she currently on any medications?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I don't know if she has gotten to the grapes before but I just harvested them all so she can't anymore. She has no medications and no health problems that I know of. She seems normal.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Are you still there?
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 month ago.

Yes I'm here. Give me a minute to trype my answer.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No worries, I thought I had lost the feed… Take your time
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 month ago.

So at this point, it's really too late to do things like inducing vomiting. Items that are ingested are out of the system within the hour so we're absolutely past that now.

So the plan for this weekend is to just monitor her. Grape toxicity affects the kidneys primarily, so watch for things like increased thirst, problems urinating and/or vomiting.

If you see those, then you need to have her seen by an emergency vet immediately.

Then on Monday, even if she's acting completely fine, give your vet a call and have them do a little blood work, just to make sure that her kidneys aren't impacted.

And then of course, it goes without saying, that you make a point to keep her away from the grapes from now on.

I hope this helps.