Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My Boston was in a small dog fight yesterday, so gave I Her

Customer Question

My Boston was in a small dog fight yesterday, so gave I
Her some rimadyl for pain yesterday and this morning, just notice a slight swellen in from knee joint , touched it, she helped,all vets are closed for weekend. What can I do to help swelling go down. She has walked on it some, but mostly holdsit up?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: No open are blooding wounds are cuts.
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Dogs name is ***** *****# , 3 1\2 years
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Pokette?
Customer: No, she went in early part of this month for her annual, all OK.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dwight Alleyne replied 5 months ago.

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? How many mg of Rimadyl are you giving her?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Gave her quarter of a tablet
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Gave ?her a quarter of a tablet. What can I do to help swelling go down?

Did you give her a quarter of a 25 mg tablet? If that is the case you can try to give her 1/2 a tablet twice daily based on her weight to see if it helps with the swelling. You can also try a cold compress to the area for about 5 minutes to see it that will help if she will allow you

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
She is lying down and resting and asleep!
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
When and where will I get an answer? This is frustrating. I keep getting , you can add more. But get no response.

I would just give her a 1/2 tablet of a 25 mg tablet later on this evening and when she is up I would apply a cold compress to the knee to see if it helps with the swelling.

The dose that you were giving if you were giving 1/4 of a 25 mg tablet was too small for her weight.

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 months ago.

I'll follow up for Dr. Alleyne for you. To summarize, Rimadyl can be dosed at 25 mg twice daily or 50 mg once daily for Pokette. Ice packing for 10 minutes every few hours may help. If the skin has been broken, the swelling might represent an infectious cellulitis (inflammation of tissue) which will require a systemic antibiotic before the swelling abates. If you have such an antibiotic at home - human or canine - please let me know and I'll see if I can give you a dose for Pokette.