PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue

I have a new cocker spaniel puppy, born July 2, and his poop

Customer Question

I have a new cocker spaniel puppy, born July 2, and his poop is still runny. It isn't abnormally frequent. He has been dewormed by the breeder. I am feeding him Blue Buffalo grain free puppy food that i integrated slowly with what the breeder gave me, which was Kirklands puppy food. Should I retest for worms?
JA: The Veterinarian's require payment for their services. It's way less expensive on JustAnswer than face-to-face would cost. I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations the puppy can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the spaniel's name?
Customer: Merle
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Merle?
Customer: He is otherwise normal and very happy.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 2 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

It does sound like its time to have a fecal exam performed. There are quite a few intestinal parasites and protozoan that aren't covered under regular deworming. Since you have already tried the food, it would be wise to double check that the stool doesn't contain anything that requires treatment. If your vet doesn't find anything in an in-house fecal, request that a sample be sent to a laboratory where they can run more tests that are more sensitive.

Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page:

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?