Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

My 60lb dog swolled a 1 mg risperidone and 10 mg melatonin

Customer Question

My 60lb dog swolled a 1 mg risperidone and 10 mg melatonin does she need to throw up
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: No just grabbed the pills and swolled them
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Rita 21/2 years old 60lbs
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Rita?
Customer: No she was just had yearly physcal it was fine
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 month ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

In studies in Beagles 1.5 mg/lb of risperidone given just once caused no adverse effects. 1 mg in a 60 lb dog would be considered negligible although there's always the possibility of transient sedation with this type of drug. The melatonin is of no consequence. We're never been able to find a toxic dose of melatonin before we distended our test subjects' stomachs with it! There's no need to induce emesis or treat in any manner. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.