Dr Marta Lepes
Dr Marta Lepes, Veterinarian
Experience:  Owner, practitioner, Owner at Hilo Veterinary Clinic, Inc, Vetmed Hawaii
90005502

Nothing looking for a way to sedate her so i can clip her

Customer Question

nothing looking for a way to sedate her so i can clip her nails they are getting long and i think may becoming sinsitive
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Shelby.. 6 yrs old boxer. female
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Shelby?
Customer: she just currenly went into heat yesterday
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Marta Lepes replied 3 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I will do my best to help you. I am reviewing your question now and I will post back to you ASAP.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
she is 65 Lbs

There are several things you can use to calm her but sedatives require a veterinary Rx.

Bach Rescue Remedy: 4 drops in a small amount of water. Give it to her before you put her water down. This is a homeopathic remedy that calms animals. It is a human product found in health food stores.

Benadryl has a calming effect. Her dose would be one 50 mg tab

Have you tried a Dremel tool?

Trimming the nails with a Dremel is gentle and you can tell when you get close to the quick of the nail. You remove layers of nail without using those pinching nail clippers.

Dogs can get used to a Dremel (it is a gentle grinder) quickly. You don't have to wrestle your dog down, pull out her leg and then use the torture tool clippers.

You can tell that i haven't used nail clippers in years.

If you have any questions I will be glad to stay online. When we are finished please rate this service.

Less calories and more exercise is the way to weight loss. If you are giving her a low calorie diet but just let her lay around she won't easily lose weight.

By taking her out on walks several times daily will help. And once she loses a few pounds she will feel more energetic.

Of course this works if she doesn't have have an underlying metabolic or digestive problem.

I would recommend a veterinary nutritionist. You can try to find one close to you by doing an online search.

Veterinary colleges all have nutritionists on their faculty.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

DrMarta-vet