Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

Our 14 year old had a fungal infection in his toes/foot, it

Customer Question

Our 14 year old ***** ***** had a fungal infection in his toes/foot, it swelled up and was inflamed and red to the point he had to hop around and was always licking it. The vet did an X-ray of liver and blood tests for various things at the time with no definitive answer. He was put on diflucan for 6 weeks and it worked, however, when he stopped taking it his foot flared up again. I'm assuming/concerned it is something internal/underlying that is the cause. We have him booked in at another vet next week. Any ideas what it could be? Thanks, ***** *****
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Kelly Hill replied 1 month ago.

You can absolutely try benadryl. How much does Precious weigh and I will calculate dose?

Sorry this got cross posted. I will optout.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He weighs 14kg, why does it flare up again? What is the cause? Thanks
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 month ago.

Em, I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. It's important to recognize that these infections require long-term (6 months or longer) systemic antifungal therapy and it should be administered at least 1-3 months beyond complete nail regrowth if Sullivan's nails are also involved. If so, any loose or sloughing nails should be removed. You're correct to suspect an underlying cause; in most cases, allergic skin disease is contributory.

Was the fungus found upon culture and, if so, which fungus was identified, please? It's important that treatment be continued until culture results are negative.