PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue

My dog is german sheperd: He doesn't listen too good. He

Customer Question

my dog is german sheperd: He doesn't listen too good. He hipper and always goes in circles. He acts like he is retarded, or something. He doesn't want to go outside on the dirt, but in the house or on the porch. He is 2 years old, please help me.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is this new behavior?
Customer: No, he has been doing this when he was 10 months old. That's when I got him. I thought it might have been, because he as never allowed in the house. The people who had him first, they didn't know how to train a dog
JA: The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name?
Customer: dewley
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about dewley?
Customer: He has a sensitive stomach.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 2 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?

1) When you say he's "hipper" what do you mean?
2) Can you attach a video showing him going in circles?
3) What are the main concerns I can help you with today?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I mean that he is hyper, very active, like he is in his own world. He doesn't know how to play with other dogs. My other dog don't know what to do and they don't want to be around him. He just goes in round circle, which confuse the other dogs.

Can you share a video of him going around in circles?

How long have you owned him?

Can you please list what states he has lived in?

Have there ever been issues with ticks?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
He has been this way since I had him. He was 10 months when I got him, he is now a little over two years old. Please help me, I am at my wits end. He only lived in Florida, and he hasn't had any ticks on him.

The first thing to know about behavior in an active, social breed like the GSD is that without a job they're apt to develop behavioral flaws like circling. Some of these dogs will also become compulsive in their efforts to groom themselves, may tail chase, may become destructive, etc. A young GSD often needs a mentally stimulating job to be happy and I worry that this is the case for Dewley. As much as we want to have lazy house pets, often working breeds don't comply with this until they are much older. At 2, Dewley is very much just a big puppy mentally.

I would recommend getting Dewley into some behavioral analysis and a training/exercise program to help deal with some of the behaviors that you're seeing. Allow a behaviorist to analyze him in person, talk to you about a regimen of training that would be most useful for keeping him stimulated and begin an exercise regimen to help not only burn off energy but to regain his focus. With the way you describe the other dogs not taking well to his behavior, it's obvious to me that they're also confused by his behavior (likely because they are satisfied with being relaxed house companions where Dewley has different desires). Below are some ideas on how to burn off energy in the anxious dog:

1) Running
2) Biking
3) Playing fetch
4) Playing frisbee
5) Agility
6) Obedience
7) Lure coursing
8) Treadmill running

On top of this, you'll want to be sure that Dewley is working on commands so that his focus is turned away from himself and back on to you. Many dogs like this are masters at what their owner asks them to do because they are simply waiting for an outlet to focus on.

If you need help finding a facility that can work with you on dog classes to get him trained past where he's trained now, please let me know what city you're in in Florida and I'll get to work finding a location nearest you.

Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page:

Checking in, JACustomer. How is your companion doing?

Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 1 month ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?