Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

My 51 pound pit bill ate 1/2 a chocolate peanut butter Luna

Customer Question

My 51 pound pit bill ate 1/2 a chocolate peanut butter Luna bar a little while ago
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Zoey is her mane and she is a pit mix with Boxer, she is 14 months old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Zoey?
Customer: No she has eaten lots of stuff remotes, shoes and anything she can get her hands on.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 months ago.

Don't give it a second thought. A 51 lb dog would need to ingest ~51 ounces of solid milk chocolate or ~17 ounces of solid dark chocolate to be intoxicated by the theobromine in chocolate which can cause agitation, tremors, and seizures if ingested in sufficient amount. Peanut butter isn't toxic to dogs, however! There's no need to induce emesis or treat Zoey in any manner. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.