Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

My dog is a year and a half, miniture autralian shepard. She

Customer Question

My dog is a year and a half, miniture autralian shepard. She never had issues until this passed Christmas. She wouldnt eat for a while and acted like she felt bad, then we switched her food. She went for a few months in the spring being ok. In May she started throwing up again. This time she had a very healthy appitie and does not act as if she is feeling bad at all. She is very energetic. Vomiting happens at 12:30 and 3:00 am. She doesnt vomit during the day. She is fed doctor recomended amount at 7:30 am and 6:00 pm. At night she usually begs for more food after eating and taking a walk.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 months ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Oakley's vomiting at that time indicates delayed gastric emptying but not the cause of her retaining food in her stomach longer than normal. This can be addressed with a drug such as metoclopramide which assists the stomach in emptying itself. Dividing her meals into 3 or 4 portions over a 12 hour period may be helpful as well. Ideally, the search for the cause of her delayed gastric emptying should be made by her vet who is likely to perform a thorough physical exam including diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests, X-rays or, preferably, ultrasound of Oakley's abdomen, and even scoping and biopsy of her gastrointestinal tract looking for functional disorders (problems with the musculature/sphincters) and inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) among other possible primary GI disorders. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 month ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Oakley. How is everything going?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
She is in the not throwing up phase now. She does this for a couple of weeks and it can be days or weeks when she is ok. Then she starts it up. We looked into it and are doing things to help. Bet checked for parasites, Addison's disease, anything blocking the stomach and other diseases. Everything came up clear. But she is still doing it.

Thank you for the additional information. Oakley appears to be a patient in which scoping and biopsy of her gastrointestinal tract is going to be necessary for determining the etiology of her behavior. I would be pleased to review any test results you could upload to our conversation. I understand that you might not have a copy at home but Oakley's vet can give you one which you can scan into your computer and then give me the file link or you can photograph the pages and upload them by using the paperclip icon (if you can see that icon) or by using an external app such as Please continue our conversation if you wish.