PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

My dog just ate a piece of bread that I sprayed Spectracide

Customer Question

My dog just ate a piece of bread that I sprayed Spectracide Bug Stop on because it was covered in ants in my kitchen.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Blu and he is 1 year
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Blu?
Customer: no ma'am
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
He weighs about 35 lbs
Expert:  Kelly Hill replied 3 months ago.

Hi this is Dr. Hill. There should be a number not the bottle to call and report possible toxicity. If not I can look it up and get back to you. Give me a couple of minutes. Is Blu acting okay?

You should call the animal poison control center. (###) ###-#### No immediate information on this particular insecticide and the active ingredient is a newer product. Not typical pyrethrin. I will opt out in case someone else can help you.

Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 3 months ago.

The active ingredient in the Spectracide Bug Stop is Lambda cyhalothrin and does not typically cause organ failure, although Blu is likely going to have some vomiting, diarrhea and other GI effects from this ingestion. I would recommend taking Blu and the spray to your local vet along with a copy of this sheet about the chemical. http://pmep.cce.cornell.edu/profiles/extoxnet/haloxyfop-methylparathion/lambda-cyhalothrin-ext.html

Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in, JACustomer. How is your companion doing?