PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue

Our 1 yr old cocker spaniel has eaten a 200mg ibuprofen

Customer Question

Our 1 yr old cocker spaniel has eaten a 200mg ibuprofen tablet about 1 hour ago. he seems fine so far but should we make him sick or take him to the vet
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: henry
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about henry?
Customer: healthy 10kg dog how much is the consultation
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 2 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today.

At 10kg, the low end of the toxicity dose for GI concerns is 25mg/kg. He's only had 20mg/kg. It would be wise to go ahead and induce vomiting but it does not sound like he's consumed enough to cause major issues. Erring on the side of caution is going to be your best prevention, however. For this, use a fresh bottle of hydrogen peroxide and follow these instructions:

It's also wise to have the Henry vet checked. If you do see any GI concerns in the days to come, most certainly have an exam performed.

Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page:

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
hi we dont have any peroxide, can we use salt or something else? is it too late anyway to make a difference after 1 hour?

You have around 2 hours to make this happen after an ingestion. You can elect salt if you want, but I do not advise it because it can alter the electrolyte balance and some dogs may wind up in the hospital needing more therapy than before. If the option exists, I would recommend the purchase of a fresh bottle of peroxide. There's less risk with this route.

Checking in, JACustomer. How is your companion doing?

Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 1 month ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?