Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ

I am wanting to take my dog on the plane. last year she was

Customer Question

I am wanting to take my dog on the plane. last year she was crying all the time. she travels in cabin but wants to be up with me that is not allowed. I have tried 50mg gravol but that had no effect. Now I am thinking about clonazapam. what do you think?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Skippy, 4 years old.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Skippy?
Customer: no
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 2 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?

1) What medications have been tried so far?
2) Has this pet taken Clondazepam in the past?
3) Does the airline you're taking this time permit medicated pets?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Gravol. Did not work

Clonazepam is used for dogs with anxiety, so it could logically be used for travel anxiety too. If this medication doesn't work, I would recommend trying alprazolam or acepromazine.

Let me know if I can help further.