PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

My long haired chihuahua has recently had a very oversized

Customer Question

Hi Pearl!My long haired chihuahua has recently had a very oversized anus and from going to a vet they had no idea what it was.
I have recently spoken to a friend with a small dog who said her dog has the exact same thing and it's just secretions building up that she releases.
What is the best way to tell?Unfortunately it's difficult for me to pay too much for a vet bill and going back and forth without getting many answers is starting to prove difficult.All the best,
Jo
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: His name is ***** ***** is 7 years old roughly
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about lolly?
Customer: He tends to get seizures when under stress so it's been difficult to make decisions when it comes to X-rays etc
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 3 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?

1) Do you have a clear photograph of his anus?
2) Has it always been this way?
3) Did the vet check his anal glands?
4) Are you seeing enlargement primarily at the bottom half (3pm-9pm if one were to view it as a clock) or full circumference?
5) Is he neutered?
6) Has he ever had a prolapsed rectum?
7) Any straining when defecating?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hello,Lovely to hear from you, thanks so much for your response.
To answer your questions, I have a photograph attached for you of his anus.
He hasn't always been this way, it's been like this for I would say Max. Three months.
The vet checked but automatically said she had never seen anything like it, there was not much checking honestly.
I would say it is perhaps larger towards the bottom half, but seems to be in almost quarters if that makes sense.
He isn't neutered, the vet did suggest it could be a hormonal imbalance and that he should be neutered for the swelling to go down.
He hasn't had a prolapsed rectum.
He does seem to struggle more and more when defeating, he seemed to go more frequently and recently his stools have become smaller and less frequent.Thanks in advance
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Sorry, she did put a finger into his anus and prescribed him a daily dosage of Meloxidyl 1.5mg

The secretions that your friend mentioned would be due to the anal glands being full. A groomer or vet clinic can express these for you but chances are if he hasn't had problems with them before it's not the problem now. It's very common for males who are intact to have an enlarged anus that will decrease in size when they are neutered. The vet doing a rectal exam on him would have ruled out full anal glands and prostatic issues.

It wouldn't hurt to try having his anal glands expressed internally and professionally once per month for a few months to see if this improves the size of his anus. Honestly, so long as he's not having any issues there may be really no recommended treatment aside from potentially neutering him to see if this helps. Your vet likely prescribed the Meloxidyl to see if inflammation may have been a factor.

Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in, JACustomer. How is your companion doing?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

PitRottMommy