Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I am pretty sure he ate a dead sonoran toad, he has been

Customer Question

I am pretty sure he ate a dead sonoran toad, he has been wheezing and vomiting and drooling all night, and doing some kind of reverse sneeze thing, but its been 12hrs since symptoms began, shouldn't the worst of it be over?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Remy 8, 90lbs, very healthy normally
JA: How old is Remy?
Customer: 8
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Remy?
Customer: No, just curious how long the sonoran toad venom could stay in blood stream.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. John replied 7 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. If you get a request for a phone call, it is from the website and not myself. Pharmcokinetic information is really based off of human studies. There have not been any that I have seen in dogs. One of the toxins can stay in the system for 8 hours. Realize that a dog's metabolism can be different, so it may be longer. The problem is that this poison can be lethal for even a large dog and can result in heart arrhythmias and seizures. If the symptoms are still persisting past 12 hours, I would highly recommend having your vet check him out to make sure no more serious internal issues are going on. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, please rate it. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.