Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

She keeps squinting with her left eye she is able to open

Customer Question

she keeps squinting with her left eye she is able to open her eye fully at times but she does keep squinting
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: lady shes 3
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: lady
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about lady?
Customer: no
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 months ago.

I am sorry to hear Lady has an eye problem. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian with over 30 years experience and will do my best to help.

How long has she been squinting? If you look closely at both eyes, are her pupils the same size, or is the pupil in the squinting eye smaller than the other pupil?

I am worried she has a scratch on her cornea (clear surface of the eye). That is the most common reason for sudden squinting in one eye. Another is having a bit of foreign material like a weed seed or bit of grass underneath the third eyelid.

If this is a corneal scratch or ulcer, quick treatment is needed and usually clears up the problem in a few days. If left too long, it can take weeks to get these to heal. The best thing to do is see a veterinarian and have a special dye test done to see if there is damage to her cornea, and use topical medication for pain and for infection. It is important not to let an eye problem go too long without treatment.

Let me know what other questions you have.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 months ago.

I did not hear back from you; I hope you were able to see my response. Was this helpful; can I answer any more of your questions?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?