Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My dog is limping and its late and alliI have is ezcexrin

Customer Question

Hi my dog is limping and its late and alliI have is ezcexrin migraine can I give it to him?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: Yes no open wound I think he pulled a muscle
JA: The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Duke ridgeback 90 lbs
JA: How old is Duke?
Customer: 6
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Duke?
Customer: I don't want him to be in pain all I have is Excedrin migraine is it OK to give it to him and if so what dose?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 6 months ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I have picked up your question and am working on it now.

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience in treating cats and dogs and smaller pets, rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect to receive a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again

Sorry to hear that Duke is uncomfortable, however I have worked out a reply for you below.

1. Sorry but Excedrin Migraine tablets are very unsuitable for dogs and should not be used, the acetaminophen and caffeine are both potentially toxic to dogs.

2. You do have one { and only one } reasonably safe option under the circumstances, this being aspirin, perhaps you can pick some up from an all night drugstore or other place. A typical dose rate for aspirin in the dog would be 5 mg per pound of your dog's body weight given twice daily. The judgement whether to dose with aspirin is of course up to you but here is a link to an accurate web page with all the facts you might need including contraindications : LINK

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Duke is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the use of Excedrin Migraine Tablets...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.