Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

Quetiapine can be used for dogs? 16 years old female dog,

Customer Question

quetiapine can be used for dogs?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?
Customer: 16 years old female dog, sometimes keeps walking, walking, she looks confused, in the middle of the night she wakes up, she looks anxious... She had a stroke 2 years ago, recovered ...
JA: Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: No wounds
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Priscila
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Priscila?
Customer: She has hip dysplasia .
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Ronald Reupert replied 3 months ago.

Hi this is Dr Reupert. I'm sorry to hear Priscilla has anxiety. This is a very common problem in geriatric dogs. We call it night wandering and may be a form of dementia. Another possibility is tinnitus or hearing things that aren't there associated with hearing loss and ear nerve damage. I usually recommend trying to play a radio or television at night to see if this can make a difference. A night light sometimes helps. It is usually temporary, but a low dose of an anti anxiety medication such as valium or xanax can help given at bedtime until it passes.

Please write back if you have more questions.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
what dosage you consider adequate for her (mg/kg)?

quetiapine does not appear to be safe for dogs, and I could not find very much on its use in dogs. Long term use was associated with cataracts.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
thank you!

xanax... 0.01 to 0.05 mg /kg

valium...0.05 to 0.1 mg/kg

xanax... 0.01 to 0.05 mg /kg

valium...0.05 to 0.1 mg/kg