Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator

Well she is a five year old lab mix, 22 lbs, and she has

Customer Question

Well she is a five year old lab mix, 22 lbs, and she has been having on and off diarrhea that does have spots of blood in it but is running around acting normal.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: zoey
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about zoey?
Customer: she does have allergies
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 month ago.

Hello and thank you for using this site to help you.

Has there been any vomiting?

When did the diarrhea start?

Have you changed her dog food or any treats?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It's been off and on with like a week of no diarrhea or vomiting but it's been going on for about a month. We moved a month ago but no we haven't changed food or treats
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for that information. Sometimes the stress of a move can do it. If she is eating and drinking normally and otherwise acting normally I would try fasting her for 24 hours then start a bland diet of boiled chicken and cooked white rice. The fast and the bland diet should give the intestines the time they need to become less inflammed.

Dogs can pick up protazoa such as giardia or coccidia and because you are in a new place I would drop off some stool for testing to be sure there are not parasites or protazoa causing the problem. Parasites like whipworm can live in the soil for many years and dogs pick this up by licking their paws.

Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 month ago.

To help with occasional diarrhea from inflammation or from something different the dog ate, you can add some canned pumpkin to the daily diet. A few helping tablespoons with the meal should help.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
If I do not have pet insurance, how much does that kind of testing usually cost?
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 month ago.

It will vary from vet to vet from state to state. You can call ahead and just ask them.

Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 month ago.

You can also call the local aspca and ask them if they know of a vet that works on a sliding scale which would work with the income you have.

Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 month ago.

There is also care credit that you can apply for on line and they don't charge any interest for a year so that give you time to pay it off monthly