Drhollowayvet
Drhollowayvet,
Experience:  Relief Veterinarian at Aloha Animal Hospital
92209471

I have a female shepherd 10 years old 70 lbs. Since about 4

Customer Question

I have a female shepherd 10 years old 70 lbs. Since about 4 am she has been throwing up, mostly liquid. She hasn't eaten all day. WIll drink water, lots of water but won't eat. I made the chicken with rice thing but she won't take any. She is going to bathroom. Water comes up eventually.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Digest what? Her name is Dutchess
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Dutchess?
Customer: I have a vets appt for 11am tomorrow, just wondering if there is anything I can do in the interim.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Drhollowayvet replied 3 months ago.

Hello my name is***** but you can call me Dr. H for short, and I am a licensed veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that Dutchess seems to be having a severe case of gastroenteritis (inflammation of stomach and intestines). There can be many causes of this and I am glad that you have already scheduled a vet appointment for her so that they can thoroughly examine her and hopefully find the cause.

However in the meantime your main concern is to keep her hydrated and perhaps even some electrolytes, if she will tolerate it. If she is vomiting up everything then giving anything else by mouth will likely not help the situation and just cause more vomiting.

Is she also vomiting up the water right after drinking it?

Do you have a way to get some Pedialyte (non-flavored) to give to her?

- Dr. H

Also I will mention that when you are waiting for your pet to be seen by your vet for a stomach issue. The best thing is to let the stomach rest for the first 12 hrs. Only liquid substances, and a little bit at a time to avoid further irritation and vomiting.

I see you have had a chance to review my reply. Please let me know if you wish to continue the conversation. I want to make sure all your questions are answered. Thank you.

- Dr. H