Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

She's constantly licking her vulva. She's in week 4 of

Customer Question

She's constantly licking her vulva. She's in week 4 of antibiotics. Not sure what to do.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Rusty
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Rusty?
Customer: Such as? They checked her for diabetes, that's negative. I think they also checked her kidneys.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Drhollowayvet replied 3 months ago.

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian. I am sorry for the delay in getting to your message as I just logged online.

I understand your pet Rusty is licking her vulva after being on antibiotics for quite an extended period of time. This sounds like she may have a vaginal infection. I have a few questions to ask you in order to make the best recommendation for her care moving forward.

What condition are the antibiotics currently treating for (her diagnosis)?

How old is Rusty and is she spayed?

Do you have a picture to send of her vaginal area so that i can get a better look?

- Dr. H

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No I don't have a picture but could try. She's a rescue and think her age is probably around 11. We think she was spayed as it doesn't seem like she has ever been in heat. The vet is treating for a UTI. If that doesn't help they want to do an ultrasound looking for bladder stones. She told me it's going to cost $500 and I can't afford that. She felt for them and checked her vulva and said it was looking ok. What I've researched doesn't seem she would have bladder stones.

Ok got it. Yes a picture would help tremendously. I can understand being financially restrained, that is a good deal of money. Hopefully we can figure things out without that being our only option. Wondering if she has vaginitis on top of having a UTI.

Does the skin around the vulva look irritated/red at all? Any brown discharge or sweet odor smells on the outside vulva?

Is she having frequent urination and drinking right now as well?

- Dr. H