Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ

Last Thursday he was in congestive heart failure after a dx

Customer Question

Last Thursday he was in congestive heart failure after a dx of pancreatitis and a UTI the week before. The vet put him on a diuretic and told me to keep track of respiration rate; she said it should be about 30 at rest. Sunday he seemed more like himself but yesterday and today he seems to be in decline...rate at 17-18/ min. Lethargy eating very little and a bit uncoordinated. He is on phenobarb for seizures and duoxetine for incessant licking. Today he started a heart med.called enalapril along with the diuretic. SOOO, is this lower resp rate to be expected?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Bill is 11, we think. He's a rescue from a puppy mill and tho paper work says he'll be 11 in October, my vet believes he's older
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bill?
Customer: He's sweet and normally follows me everywhere. He is usually about 13 pounds and really only eats when hungry. He's on a boiled lean diet right now for his pancreatitis
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 2 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?

1) What breed is he?
2) Please share how many milligrams of each medication he's taking and how often.
3) Is he still eating and drinking well?
4) Are you seeing any coughing, lethargy, fainting?