Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill, Veterinarian
Experience:  full time veterinarian at Tender Touch Veterinary Hospital
95569734

My 8 month old lab is starting to lose hair around her anus.

Customer Question

My 8 month old lab is starting to lose hair around her anus. It's getting worse. She tries to lock the area a lot. Also, I notice she's losing quite a bit of hair everywhere else.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Bella
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bella?
Customer: No
Category: Dog
Expert:  Kelly Hill replied 3 months ago.

Hi, this is Dr. Hill. The hair loss is likely from irritation associated with her licking. There are glands on either side of the anus are expressed with a formed bowel movement. If the stools are softer than normal or if Bella has allergies, she may have inflamed anal glands. Inflammation will cause her to lick at the area and create the hair loss. I recommend that you put an elizabethan collar on her. You want one long enough that her nose doesn't stick out past the end of the collar. Will mild inflammation you can do a warm, wet epsom salt compress for minutes twice daily. If you note a bulge on either side of the anus, or Bella just can't get comfortable then you need to have her seen by your local veterinarian. Feel free to post additional questions.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you

Your welcome. Hope Bella feels better soon.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

katjadvm