PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue

My dog was spayed at the humane society on July 11. That

Customer Question

My dog was spayed at the humane society on July 11. That evening her incision started bleeding and I had to take her back to the humane society to see the after hours veterinarian assistant. Turns out there was a tiny area that didn't have "stitches" so she used liquid bandage stuff to seal it. All seemed well after that. About a week ago I noticed my dog licking where her scar is and checked and she has these blister looking bumps there. I've been cleaning it with rubbing alcohol and putting Neosporin on it. She is also wearing the cone of shame so she doesn't mess with it. Do you think I need to take her to vet since it's already been a month and a half since she had the surgery and she keeps messing with it?
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 2 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?

1) Can you provide pictures of this area?
2) When were her sutures removed?
3) Any oozing from the area?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have one picture, how can I send it? The stitches were the kind that dissolve. Yes just last night there looked like a small amount of pus came out as I was cleaning it.

There is an attachment function on the page that should allow you to post pictures and video. You can also use websites like and to upload pictures and video respectively. Once this is done, you can post the link back and I can access them.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I'm sending this from my cell so maybe it doesn't have the full capability? Can I email you the photo?

If you contact customer service, they most certainly can receive an email and send it along. Unfortunately, there's usually quite a delay in doing so.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.

Perfect! These just came through.

With the presence of pus and the appearance of the incision, it looks like she likely has a localized infection here. Sometimes dogs will react to the sutures that are used to close their incisions and this may be the case here. I would err on the side of caution and have her examined. Your vet will likely want to put her on antibiotics to help clear the infection. Once this happens, it's likely that Faith will no longer be interested in the area and you can remove the cone.

Please let me know if I can help further.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I will make an appointment for her but sometimes it can take 1 to 2 weeks to get her in. In the mean time, should I continue to clean with rubbing alcohol and apply Neosporin? I apologize if this msg is sent twice, I sent it earlier, but it didn't seem to go through.

I'm not a huge fan of using alcohol on wounds that are infected. It's irritating and drying. Instead, I would recommend using a product like hibiclens (available at most larger grocery stores with a pharmacy section) or even just a mild hand soap 1-2 times daily. The neosporin is suitable for wound care, so do continue that.

Checking in, Sue. How is Faith doing?

Hi Sue,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Faith. How is everything going?