Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

Over the past 3 weeks he's progressively gone off of eating,

Customer Question

Hi, over the past 3 weeks he's progressively gone off of eating, and in the past week he has deteriorated and is only drinking water. He's lost about 2 kgs and has been throwing up for the past few days every time he has water. Bernese Mt Dog - < 2yrs old
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about and lt?
Customer: The X-rays were done on his stomach only and show gastric dilation of his intestines, but no blocking - it's only showing as the intestines being filled with gas and being unusually large. He paces and pants, is highly uncomfortable and on edge.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but I did want to leave my thoughts about your lad. Now its good that he doesn't have an obstruction but ou have noted no treatments for him. So, if that is the case, you will want to ensure his vet does start strong anti-nausea medication (ie Zofran, Cerenia, Metoclopramide), gut safe pain relief (ie Buprenorphine), and potentially an appetite stimulant like Mirtazapine. As well, if he has appetite loss, nausea, and is uncomfortable; you will want to discuss having bloods checked and specifically testing for pancreatitis. This can cause all the signs you have reported and therefore would be a concern as well. And if you have general bloods checked as you rule that out, then you may be able to uncover any infections or organ issues that could be playing a role here. Otherwise, if there are any other more subtle concerns besides pancreatitis (ie diffuse masses, stomach ulcers, inflammation of the intestines), then an ultrasound may give you more information than the xray.

Finally, further to medication, if he is wasting away then you may also want to speak to his vet about a short term feeding tube. This alongside the above could just get food into him to stave off his wasting as you work to get to the root of your poor lads signs.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )