Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis Graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management

My boxer is very skinny and the last few days she's hardly

Customer Question

My boxer is very skinny and the last few days she's hardly eaten but has drank a lot of water. I gave her a few slices of turkey and she ate it. But now a few hours later she has fowl odor coming from her.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Cali 4 yr
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Cali?
Customer: No
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
She's very lethargic as well
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 2 months ago.

My name is***** am a UC Davis graduate, former Medical Director of a corporate practice, and currently a owner of a veterinary hospital.

Please remember to select, Reply to Expert, if for any reason youneed further clarification or have a follow up question. When finished, I greatly appreciate when you select a feedback rating to close the question for me. Dr. Andy

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 2 months ago.

Without hesitation,

She needs to get in to a vet, and absolutely, basic testing needs to include a basic blood and urine test.

A very skinny boxer, at this age, with appetite issues could be caused by many problems including:

- intestinal parasites (especially the microscopic bug, giardia)

- pancreas problems (exocrine pancreatic insufficiency)

- inflammatory bowel disease

- a chronic gastritis or intestinal problem

Very sorry she is not feeling well. No chance to use over the counter therapies in this situation. I think every delayed day is going to be costly, because she will not only lose weight but also muscle mass.

The basic testing will help the vet to start quickly ruling out some possible explanations for her illness.

The odor?

Well, it could be related to mouth problems, complications in the stomach, or organ disease (kidney failure can cause a very bad odor).

Wish I could do more. Definitely, well worth basic testing.

Hope that information helps

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 2 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 2 months ago.

I hope everything is going okay?

May I be of any further assistance?