PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue

My dog has had the runs for 5+days and threw up some bile

Customer Question

my dog has had the runs for 5+days and threw up some bile today.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: thinking back he ate sticky rice 5-6 days ago could he have an obstruction
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: boozer small 14lbs
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?
Customer: he acts hungry even after he has eaten a lrg meal
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 2 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?

1) Have there been any changes to diet including human food? treats?
2) Any ingestion of foreign bodies?

3) Any blood in the stool?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
a new dry food

The new dry food is probably to blame as changes in the diet can cause some substantial GI upsets. Because you're seeing both vomiting and diarrhea, I'll type out instructions below to use medication to calm his stomach and then a bland diet to help solidify the stool. Once this happens, wait a few days and then slowly switch Boozer back over to his regular diet using a 10% switch each day. That is, Day 1: 10% new food, 90% old. Day 2: 20% new food, 80% old and keep increasing the percentages each day until a complete switch is made. Keep an eye out for diarrhea during this time.

There are a few things that can be done at home to help make a pet with a stomach upset feel better. The first thing is to administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can buy the brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful.

2 hours following a dose of famotidine, the time needed for the medication to begin working, you can offer a bland diet. To make this, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot. Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. To avoid more nausea, start with small amounts to begin with and offer the amount every 2-4 hours. A few teaspoons to start is typically sufficient and you can work your way up every 2-4 hours in incremental increases until you’re sure no vomiting will be seen.

If your companion requires a more palatable food, try using pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Start small and give more as long as no vomiting is seen.

If this does not result in the improvements you’re wanting, it may be necessary to have your companion examined by a veterinarian and injectable medications for nausea administered. I’m particularly a big fan of Cerenia for vomiting as it tends to work quickly, does a great job and works for a full 24 hours.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page:

Checking in. How is your companion doing?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?