Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

11 yr old female Australian Shepherd. Licking herself more

Customer Question

11 yr old female Australian Shepherd. Licking herself more and I think this is causing gagging reflex throughout day and night. In the past two weeks, I think she urinated in our bed (she sleeps with us), but not by standing, it would have been while laying down. Fairly large amount. Those nights she licks a lot. Some mild hip pain past couple months alleviated w/ baby aspirin - we don't have to do this daily. Not as interested in dog food, but will eventually eat it. Still loves treats. Still perky and loving. She had been abused, forced to have litter under a year old and we had her spayed when we got her at 2 yr old.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Maddy
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Maddy?
Customer: She doesn't appear lethargic. Personality is same.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Candy replied 3 months ago.

Hello. I am sorry to hear that Maddy is having some trouble. My name is ***** ***** I would happy to help.

When you say she is licking herself is she licking her vaginal area?