Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ

We had a few balloons in the house, he saw them and growled,

Customer Question

We had a few balloons in the house, he saw them and growled, kept walking I moved the balloons in the bedroom, until we used them. Now he keeps looking at ceiling and is very timid. I bought new balloons so he could growl at them. Walked them outside with him watching. he still looking up and is very scared of the living room are.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: no why is that.
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Luca he just turned 1, he is a Schnoodle
JA: How old is Luca?
Customer: one
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Luca?
Customer: no he was normal playful dog 2 days ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 2 months ago.

Hi. My name is***** Thank you for your question. I'm sorry about the "odd" question of looking to see if there is a wound on the foot. The system has an automatic response system initially that sometimes keys in words oddly. I'm human. :)

How long has this been going on with looking at the ceiling and seeming timid?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Just last 2 days
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I don't see anything in his paws

That is good that this behavior hasn't been that long in duration. He's a very observant little one and aware of his environment. He remembers what he saw and how it was something that didn't fit the normal for him. I've seen this with dogs when some owners add new "decorations" to the house that they aren't familiar with. In a situation like this, helping him to continue to grow in confidence is the best thing to do. In this type of situation, you could have the balloons in the far side of the room while you play with him and feed him. He can then progressively be closer and closer to them in proximity as he gets used to them. In all honesty, this may be something that takes days to weeks. He's not sure of what these floating objects are, but as he's around them more and more and realizes they won't bother him (hopefully none pop!), he'll get used to them as being part of the environment. Basically desensitizing him to them.

Sorry again about the "do you see anything in the paws" that the system automatically generated. It helps to get basic information in a lot of cases, but every now and then throws the "odd ball" question.