Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification

My dog has a red blood spot on the white of her eye. No

Customer Question

My dog has a red blood spot on the white of her eye. No discharge (not anymore than normal), light doesn't seem to hurt it, she doesn't rub it and it doesn't seem to bother her at all.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Maya. Age 8
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Maya?
Customer: No. Behavior is normal, definitely not affecting her eating or playing
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 2 months ago.

Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you with your question today. Just like an in person consult, I have a few questions of my own to help ensure I give you the best advice possible....

Do you know how long that has been there?

What kind of dog is Maya?

Does she spent time running in the woods, or long grass?

Does she play with other dogs?

Is she squinting that eye at all?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Not sure how long it's been there....we noticed it last week.
She is a beagle/lab/mutt mix
She does run through our flower gardens we put up to keep her from running the fence line.
She has not been around other dogs for several weeks
Not squinting at all...the eye looks like her other eye until she looks to the side and you can see the red spot. But when she is looking straight at you there is no difference between the two eyes
Expert:  Lisa replied 2 months ago.

Great. Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.

Since it's been there for at least a week and she does run through vegetation in the garden, I definitely worry that this is a puncture injury.

Unfortunately, with this kind of injury, you can't always see any problem with it just by looking at it with your naked eye...usually a vet needs to stain it with a special stain and then look at it with a special scope and possibly even use a tonometer on it to make sure that the pressure in that eye is normal.

Because of the possible severity of this kind of injury, I don't think you should wait to have it seen for too much longer....however, since she doesn't seem bothered by it, I don't think that you need to rush her to the emergency vet or anything tonight, but I would definitely give your normal vet a call tomorrow when they open and have them take a peek at it, just to be on the safe side.

I hope this helps.