Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill, Veterinarian
Experience:  full time veterinarian at Tender Touch Veterinary Hospital

She ate 1 double chocolate muffin with chocolate chips.

Customer Question

Hi! She ate 1 double chocolate muffin with chocolate chips. She's about 35 - 40 lbs, lab mix, and the muffin was roughly 2 oz
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: so the muffin itself if chocolate and there are chocolate chips in it
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: I don't think so
Category: Dog
Expert:  Kelly Hill replied 2 months ago.

Hi, this is Dr. Hill. So a double chocolate muffin is unlikely to be toxic. However, iIf there was any dark chocolate in the muffin then I would make her vomit if eaten within the last hour. You can give two tablespoons of hydrogen peroxide by mouth and then run her around to shake up her stomach. She should vomit within 15 minutes. Not a lethal dose, but it may cause some stomach upset (vomiting and diarrhea). Take care. Feel free to ask any further questions.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok thanks! The ingredients on the box don't say dark chocolate, but it does say cocoa. Would that make a difference?

Cocoa is similar to dark chocolate. I can calculate how much she would need to eat for it to be toxic and I will contact you in a couple of minutes. I am going to base it on 35 # body weight.

So if the recipe made 12 muffins, there is usually 6 ounces of cocoa in a recipe. The means if she got one muffin, so got about 0.5 ounces of cocoa which can cause vomiting and diarrhea. I would do the hydrogen peroxide just to be safe.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
How much should I give her?

Two tablespoons by mouth and then run her around to shake up her stomach.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The hydrogen peroxide I have is expired. By time I go get a new bottle it will be almost 2 hours since she ate the muffin
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Should I just keep an eye on her? If she does start to vomit or have diarrhea should I take her to the vet?

Then you should just watch her and feed her bland food for the next day or two. If she is going to have problems it will occur typically within the first 24 hours after ingestion. take care

If she does start vomiting, then she should go to the veterinary hospital. If she has soft stool but not watery diarrhea, then you can give a probiotic and continue with the bland diet for a few days. If the diarrhea lasts longer than three days, has any blood or becomes watery, then she needs to be seen sooner.

Expert:  Kelly Hill replied 1 month ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?