Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ

My dog is 16 years old and in poor healy, th, she cant hear

Customer Question

my dog is 16 years old and in poor healy
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with your dog?
Customer: th
JA: Where does your dog seem to hurt?
Customer: she cant hear anymore and just yesterday lost her vision completely she has many growths on her and I'm wondering what is best for her I don't know if it is time for her or is there an inexpensive way to help her I cant afford surgery for her but I can afford some help for her if there is any
JA: OK. No obvious pain. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the dog's name?
Customer: chloe
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about chloe?
Customer: well she is not very stable on her feet and now I have to carry her to her food and carry her out to go mostly because she cant see and is very scared
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 2 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today.

The best case scenario would involve some blood work for her to determine the cause of her symptoms. Blindness is often due to underlying diabetes, which can be regulated. She may also benefit from an exam from an ophthalmologist if this is not due to diabetes. The best way to know the most effective way to approach her situation is definitely going to be at least through a basic exam.

As far as knowing when the time is right for allowing her to pass humanely from this world, I recommend that owners think back to when their pet was in the best health. List 10 things out that the pet loved to do such as play fetch, go for car rides, etc. Now, think to today. When you're down to 5 things on the list, you're close to time for euthanasia. When you're down to 2-3, the quality of life is no longer there and its time to put the pet to sleep.

Let me know if I can help you further.

Checking in, JACustomer. How is Chloe doing?