Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis Graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

6 yr old beagle ate some grass and had diarrhea a few hours

Customer Question

6 yr old beagle ate some grass and had diarrhea a few hours later
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the beagle will be able to digest that. What is the beagle's name?
Customer: poppy
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about poppy?
Customer: No. Very healthy and happy
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 3 months ago.

I am sorry to hear about Poppy.

Well, two issues actually. The eating grass suggests nausea, but Poppy also has diarrhea to suggest intestinal distress as well.
My primary concerns for diarrhea with or without blood include:
- Dietary indiscretion (eating something you do not know about)
- Stomach or intestinal foreign body
- Something that was given to them (new food, new treat, human food)
- Intestinal parasitism (not just the worms, but the microscopic bugs like Giardia and Coccidia). They can cause vomiting also.
- Toxin exposure would be less likely, unless you have reason to suspect exposure to a chemical.
- Less commonly, endocrine diseases.
- Generally, in older pets, I am also concerned about organ disease (liver, kidneys) and cancer.

You can offer a tablespoon of pepto bismol, but Poppy should get examined. A vet can prescribe a more appropriate therapy to help the stomach and intestinal tract, as well as, some basic testing, which should include a fecal test.

Bring in a fresh poop sample to the veterinarian. Ideally, within a few hours. Request that it be sent “OUT” to the laboratory instead of being looked at in the hospital (more accurate that way). We are not interested in only worm eggs, but also checking for the very common microscopic bugs like giardia and coccidia. These types of parasites will not be cured with over-the-counter dewormers. Giardia can also be difficult to identify on routine fecal tests, so ask your vet if they always add a “giardia elisa” to the fecal test.

Hope that information helps