Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

He has bad diarrhea. Has bouts of collide us and is Diabetic

Customer Question

He has bad diarrhea. Has bouts of collide us and is Diabetic gave one Lomotil today 2 mg how often can I take give them without causing constipation
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. I'm sorry the dog has that. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Webster
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Webster?
Customer: No just that he's diabetic and he has a heart murmur and he's already taking Enalapril 2.5mg bid
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 3 months ago.

Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you with your question today.

As a general rule, Lomotil is dosed at 0.05 to 0.1 mg per pound (0.1 to 0.2 mg/kg) and can be given two to three times daily.

Since you've only given one today, you can give another one about 8 hours after the first dose...so if you gave the first one at 10am...then the second one can be given around 6pm.

I hope this helps.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** days should I give ? He is eating boiled chicken bc I have to give the insulin I can't go w/o feeding?
Expert:  Lisa replied 3 months ago.

Since I don't know your dogs whole history, I think you should continue it today for sure, and then tomorrow, give your regular vet a call on the phone and ask them how long they want you to give it.

My best guess is that they're going to want you to continue for at least 3 days after the symptoms have cleared up, but it's good to touch base with them, just to be on the safe side.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
1more ?. He had been on Flaygl for many of these bouts but I decided to try the lomotil. Just sick of paying for office visits and not getting relief for him
Expert:  Lisa replied 3 months ago.

I absolutely understand. Since he has a history of this problem, it might not be a bad idea to talk to your vet about sending out the medication without having to see him each time. Most vets don't really have a problem with something as safe as Flagyl, so I would ask them to see if they're willing to do that.