Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator

22 lb cocker spaniel ingested one .1% indoxacarb ant trap.

Customer Question

22 lb cocker spaniel ingested one .1% indoxacarb ant trap. what to do? [no answer at aspca poison control this am]
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 2 months ago.

hello and thank you for using this site to help you. Ant traps are typically not toxic to dogs, but what we worry about is if the dog ate the trap itself as this can cause an obstruction of the bowel. If the pup at some of the ant trap then I would watch for obstruction symptoms, which would be sudden lack of appetite, vomiting , diarrhea or change in stool and lethargy.

here is more on common house hold poisons to dogs

Expert:  Sally G. replied 2 months ago.

The percentage of Indoxacab in ant traps is very minute to cause damage, it is more to entice the ant to the trap due to its smell. Some dogs may display minor diarrhea or vomiting from traps. The concern would be more an obstruction of the bowel from eating the trap.

Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 month ago.
Hi Paul,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Sally G.