Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.

Both of my dogs have licking there area excessively. One

Customer Question

Both of my dogs have licking there butt area excessively. One started first and now has pretty much stopped but has created an irritated area and now my 2nd dog has started in the last week or so doing the same thing. No scooting, no bad smells, just licking
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Jena and Magnus both 3
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Jena?
Customer: a few montha ago we got a cat and we recently changed there food. not the brand just the flavor. they usually eat whole earth farms grain free red meat but hey were out of it so i got the same brand but salmon flavor. also we tried Blue wilderness wild roll salmon flavor. as a topper on there dry food
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 2 months ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

There are a couple possibilities for this behavior that Jena and Magnus are showing. One is an allergic reaction that is causing this which is odd in both dogs but can happen. For this, give them both Benadryl at 1 mg per pound every 12 hrs. This can be purchased over the counter at the pharmacy and will help stop the itching so they will leave these areas alone so they can heal. The other possibility is impacted anal glands, common in the smaller dogs but can happen in larger dogs as well. They will not always scoot and the irritation of this pressure for sweet Jena and Magnus will make them lick it constantly. Have your groomer or vet check their anal glands if the Benadryl does not help. In most cases, it will be one of these 2 conditions. There can also be a form of Obsessive/Compulsive behavior that can cause this but this is less likely.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 month ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Loretta