PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

I have a Chinese Crested dog that is not hairless but in

Customer Question

I have a Chinese Crested dog that is not hairless but in spots and he fleas are driving her crazy. She has chewewd
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: I have a Chinese Crested Hairless Dog hat has hair in spots on her body and they are tormenting her. She has chewewd her feet until they are red. I have just gotten er so I am still learninh how to care for her. What safe products can I use on her?
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: She is a throw away dog and I don't know that much about the dog except she is one of the most lovable dogs I have ever seen and seems to be happy with us. I have had her 3 days and am already getting attached to her. I have no idea whether she has had her shots or anything about her past history. I have always had Daushunds and Poodles so I am learning
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 3 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?

1) What flea prevention is being used and when was it last applied?

2) Is she on any regular medications? If so, what?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
This is a throw-away dog and I know nothing about her except she is the most lovable dog I have ever had. I have only had her for a few days and this trait I discovered right away. I don't know her age but she seems to be fairly young 2-3 years old. I have to get her to the vet on Monday to get her checked out. She is also a very responsive dog and comes when she is called and has been taught some skills. I called the name that was on her name id but the gentleman said he gave her away and lost all contact with the people he gave her to.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I know nothing about her shots and don't want to do anything that will arm her. My dog before her passed 4 months ago an d even know I will never be able to replace him but I was ready for a new baby.

The first thing to know is that she does need to be updated on her vaccines if there is not proof of history. This is standard protocol for any pet ownership and should not harm her even if she has had them in the past.

If she is not on a product for flea prevention, talk to your vet about this. They will have products on hand at their clinic. I am a huge fan of frontline, revolution, advantage, advantix, comfortis, bravecto, etc. If you already have something like this at home and it's in her size, dose her now and talk to your vet about fleas later.

The licking of her feet is likely due to allergies. I like, use and recommend human zyrtec from the OTC pharmacy area in stores. Here's the dosing info: http://cheyennewest.com/antihistamines-for-dogs-cats/ You will need to give this for 3-5 days before you'll see the maximum benefit. If this does not calm her itching, make sure that you talk to your vet about other options like steroid injections, atopica, apoquel, etc. There are lots of options out there for allergies.

Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

PitRottMommy