Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ

My dog had a nose bleed earlier, which finally stopped, but

Customer Question

Hi, my dog had a nose bleed earlier, which finally stopped, but now she can't breathe thru her nose properly, only her mouth
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Nala, she is 14
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Nala?
Customer: She been a bit more lazy in the past couple months, with her bladder control, and no longer likes to climb the stairs
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
She also had a nose bleed a couple weeks ago, but didn't have this issue afterwards with the nasal passage clogged
She seems to be able to force the air out thru the passage, but to inhale she keeps opening her mouth
She is getting very tired and I'm trying to see how I can help her clear the nasal passage
I tried running hot shower with her closed in the bathroom for 15 minutes but that didn't seem to help
Expert:  Dr. Ellie replied 2 months ago.

Hi there,

I am sorry to say that the problem you are describing sounds like your dog has an obstruction in her nasal passages and unfortunately, the most likely cause in a dog her age with her signs is a tumor. The reason that it appears worse may be due to the presence of a blood clot narrowing the passageway even further. Other things can cause the same signs such as a fungal infection, a secondary bacterial infection or an upper respiratory infection can also make the swelling in the nasal passages worse and make it harder to breathe.

If you are interested in pursuing an answer you can talk to your family veterinarian about referral to a specialty center that can perform a CT to visualize her sinuses or you can elect to treat empirically and try a course of antibiotics and a steroid to help decrease inflammation and make her feel better if the physical exam findings are consistent with my suspicions that there is a more serious problem underlying the nose bleed. Do you have any additional questions? Does this address your concerns today?