Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

Our dog has a hunched back and walks with tail tucked in -

Customer Question

Our dog has a hunched back and walks with tail tucked in - doesn't like us touching his back how is 16 years old - mini fox terrior
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: No wounds on feet - still enjoys his walk every couple of days - is deaf too
JA: What is the fox terrier's name?
Customer: Spammy he hasn't many teeth as he had a ball all his life - vomits
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about vomits?
Customer: Sleeps all day not interested in anything much
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 7 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?

1) Has Spammy had any diagnostics performed on his back and hips?
2) Is he still willing to run and jump?
3) Is he on any medications at this time?
4) Any history of injury or illness?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No
Not really - still likes his walks 3 or 4 days a week
Operation on his knee about 6 years ago

The first step here should be a veterinary evaluation and your vet may recommend some x-rays. At his age, we have to be worried about arthritic conditions which might otherwise cause major pain in any area the spine and even the hips. Most dogs over the age of 10 have some type of arthritic changes but it seems smaller dogs tend to hold it off longer than do larger breeds of dogs.

If you wish to try some approaches at home, you can place him on glucosamine chondroitin and can try a natural pain reliever like this one: http://www.vetionx.com/arthro-ionx_dog.php?SSAID=852563

Let me know if I can help further.