Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ

My german shepard is screaming in pain when I lift his head

Customer Question

my german shepard is screaming in pain when I lift his head and try tro look at his neck he had a hot spot on his neck but it is all gone we have already spnt over 200.00 at the vet and they don't tell us anything it has been 2 weeks of him in pain
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Jax
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Jax?
Customer: he is a very dramatic 8 month old but he has been in pain for a couple weeks it makes me want to cry
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 2 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?

1) Did I understand correctly that the hot spot has already healed?
2) Does he vocalize when his neck is moved in any other fashion, including side to side?
3) What medication was he placed on at the time? Is he on any meds now? If so, what?
4) Have any diagnostics been performed like neck x-rays?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
hot spot is healed he will let me rub under his neck where to spot was he vocalizes any movement on doxycycline and carprofen the local vet said it might be growing pains no xrays
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
we fought ticks on him for a while but finally got rid of them they did a blood test for lyme

If he's still painful, I would push for more diagnostics and better medication to address his pain. The carprofen is an NSAID and if he's truly painful something like Tramadol, Gabapentin, etc. would be more suited to helping him (keeping in mind, of course, that he has a tendency toward being 'sensitive' anyhow). That said, x-rays of his neck and back would be wise as this is potentially not growing pains. 2 weeks of pain following a medication regimen should give the staff reason to look for a more plausible cause of the discomfort, especially if you've been giving the medication regularly. It's also important that Jax is allowed plenty of time to rest (need to minimize not only activity but also need to switch to a harness from a collar, even if it's never used). With the risk of a tick borne illness here, you should be starting to see some benefits from the doxycycline soon, if not already. More TBD cause joint issues than just lyme, so it's a good thing treatment was elected regardless of a result of the lyme test.

Let me know if I can help further.

Checking in. How is your companion doing today?