Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian
88695179

Dog drooling a lot and water coming from vagina.

Customer Question

My 5 year old dog was playing with the hose this morning and then started drooling a lot and water was even coming out her vagina. I called the vet and asked them about water toxicity but they said without any other symptoms that she would be fine. But it has been 5 hours and she is still drooling. Wondering what to do? She doesn’t have as much energy as she usually does, but it is also extremely hot here today.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 3 months ago.
Have you been using the hose frequently this summer or is it usually sitting, stagnant? Could algae be growing in the hose that could cause your dog to be nauseous?
If your dog drank excessively this morning, she could have been leaking urine if her kidneys were making excessive urine to flush out the extra water. If she is still drooling, I would wonder about nausea. Have you offered dinner yet? If not, try a half size meal first to see if she is able to keep it down. If you have, how well did she eat? You can also try giving her a Pepcid AC. This will reduce the acid in her stomach and may help with the nausea. The dose is about 1 mg per kilo of body weight. For her low energy level, I would wonder about the heat, but also nausea can make dogs lethargic.