Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts
Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you with your question.
How long ago did this happen?
Do you have any hydrogen peroxide in the house?
What is the dose amount on the tablets?
Great. Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.
So while ibuprofen is sometimes used in veterinary medicine to help with inflammation in dogs at a dose of 2.5 to 4 mg per pound (5 to 8 mg/kg) every 12 hours, obviously your dog got a pretty extreme overdose if she ingested two of those tablets.
Because of this, and because you don't have any peroxide on hand to induce vomiting, I absolutely think that the best thing to do is to have her seen by a vet today. Ideally, as soon as possible.
They'll give her medications of help protect her stomach and one to bind with the ibuprofen in her system and keep it from causing more damage. They may also want to get her on some IV fluids to help flush her system and protect her kidneys/liver.
I wish there was something you could do at home, but because she's so small and possibly ingested so much, it's better to be safe than sorry.
I hope that she's feeling better soon.
You could definitely try it, but since she ingested it over 30 minutes ago now, there's still a concern that enough will have been absorbed into her system to cause a probem.
At this point, the only thing to do is to keep an eye on her. Hopefully she won't develop any symptoms or signs.
I think that the blood work would be a good idea, just to be on the safe side.
Every dog has different sensitivities so it's possible....but hopefully not.