PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue

My dog, a 65lb goldendoodle is having a very similar

Customer Question

Hello, my dog, a 65lb goldendoodle is having a very similar situation to this question that was posted, although with his right ear. He is shaking his head and scratching. Also holding his right ear low. The ear is just very slightly pink, I honestly think from the shaking and scratching, and is producing an ear odor, but, there is no wax to be seen. He has been swimming, multiple times each week the past few weeks, but, only in the last 48 hours has the ear seemed to be bothering him. Is it safe to clean with the vinegar and water solution?
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 2 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?

1) Is Theodore on any medication at this time?
2) What steps, if any, are used following swimming to prevent ear infection?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hello,He is on a monthly dose of Interceptor and receives Bravecto. Since regular swimming for Theodore is new for him this summer, we have not taken any active steps to prevent ear infection.

Thank you for the additional information, Jill.

It's important to know that canine ear canals are shaped like L's. That is, we see about half of what is actually there. The odor that is present, the shaking of the head and the pigmentation that you're seeing all suggest that there is an ear infection present and it's down closer to the ear canal than you can see. I would urge you to do a few things:

1) I would have him examined and an ear cytology performed. This is often obtained from exudate that's past the bend in the ear canal, so it wouldn't be visible to the naked eye. Your vet will likely recommend an ear medication that will treat both yeast and bacteria. If you wish, you can try the vinegar and water solution but its been my experience that it doesn't do much good and dogs still wind up needing to go to the vet.

2) Employ some steps to prevent ear infections in the future. Once a week, clean the ears deeply with an ear flush like T8 Keto available here: and also use a drying lotion like Oticare-B after any swimming events to help dry out the ear canals: These steps can greatly change the health of the ear, inside and out, and prevent future infections.

3) Make sure that if he is heavily coated that his ears are groomed shorter for summer. This will help to prevent extra moisture from building up there.

There is a detailed explanation on both ear canal anatomy in dogs and how to best clean the ears. It's important to learn the steps on how to clean the ear beyond the 90 degree bend since we cannot reach down that far as home:

Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page:

Hi, Jill. Checking in. How is Theodore doing?